Enrollment for those without a VT PID
How can I get VT Phone Alerts if I don’t have a VT PID?
This subscription procedure is intended for persons who do not have a Virginia Tech PID (a unique campus identifier) but have a valid need to receive VT Phone Alerts emergency notification messages because of their relationship or proximity to the Blacksburg campus. Examples of such individuals include, but are not limited to:
- Command staff, supervisors, senior administration, principals, or specialty team leaders of first-responder agencies serving the New River Valley
- Contractors, business services, auxiliaries, tenants, or other vendors with a frequent and/or regular presence on campus
- Residents living contiguous to the campus
- Managers of off-campus student housing complexes with significant Virginia Tech student resident population
- Fraternity/Sorority house managers
- Corporate Research Center staff and tenants
How will my subscription request be evaluated?
All subscription requests will be reviewed by the Office of Emergency Management using the guidelines previously described. Please remember that the principal function of VT Alerts is to provide notification to those who are in the immediate vicinity of an emergency. If your application does not meet the above criteria you are encouraged to consider one or more of the following methods to receive VT Alerts information:
- VT Desktop Alerts: The VT Desktop Alerts program accesses Virginia Tech's emergency notification system over the Internet to obtain important alert information. To receive alerts from Virginia Tech using this software, you must be logged in to your computer and your computer must be connected to the Internet. Additional information can be found at http://www.alerts.vt.edu/desktop/alerts-desktop.html.
- Twitter: VT Alerts are available through Twitter (@vtalerts). During an emergency at Virginia Tech, the @vtalerts Twitter feed will tweet content identical to that issued through the VT Alerts notification system.
- Virginia Tech homepage: During an emergency at Virginia Tech, the main university website, www.vt.edu, will have a “black box” message with content identical to that issued through the VT Alerts notification system.
- Weather/Emergency hotline: Official weather and emergency information may be accessed by calling 540-231-6668. Please note that updates may be delayed by several minutes.
Additional Sources of Information
Depending on the nature of an emergency at Virginia Tech, local media may have live breaking news or periodic updates. Their websites may also have video, audio, or text updates.
Questions can be directed to the Office of Emergency Management at 540-231-2438 or firstname.lastname@example.org.